Just like the Super Bowl and the Grammys, Sunday’s Academy Awards generated a ton of social media buzz. If you were one to tweet about Angelina Jolie’s exposed leg or Sacha Baron Cohen’s outrageous red carpet behavior, you certainly weren’t alone. Check out this Oscars social media breakdown from our friends at Trendrr.TV.
Before, during and after the Oscars, Trendrr compiled social data from Twitter, Facebook, GetGlue, Miso and Viggle. Total Academy Awards show social activities and mentions topped 4.2 million. What’s more, the social media chatter surrounding pre-show red carpet events amounted to 3.9 million mentions, nearly pacing the actual awards show itself.
SEE ALSO: Top 14 Memes from Oscars 2012
Of the social media participants, 44% were male and 56% were female. Smartphones and tablets were big this year: 41% of Oscars social activity occurred on mobile devices. And the majority of overall social sentiment was positive (62%), whereas 22% of chatter was negative, and 16% was neutral.
The following moments represent the five busiest individual minutes of the awards show, based on social media activity.
- Octavia Spencer wins Best Supporting Actress: 31,216 mentions per minute.
- Opening montage: 30,488 mentions per minute.
- Cirque du Soleil performance: 30,102 mentions per minute.
- Meryl Streep wins Best Actress: 29,978 mentions per minute.
- The Artist wins Best Picture: 28,645 mentions per minute.
Top States/Provinces by Twitter Activity:
- California: 15% of Twitter conversation.
- New York: 14% of Twitter conversation.
- Texas: 8% of Twitter conversation.
- Ontario: 6% of Twitter conversation.
- Florida: 5% of Twitter conversation.
Top Cities by Social Media Activity:
- New York City, NY
- Los Angeles, CA
- Chicago, IL
- San Francisco, CA
- Washington, D.C.
Top Five Mentioned Actors
- Jean Dujardin: 64k
- George Clooney: 44k
- Brad Pitt: 40k
- Christopher Plummer: 35k
- Gary Oldman: 21k
Top Five Mentioned Actresses
- Meryl Streep: 107k
- Angelina Jolie: 58k
- Octavia Spencer: 41k
- Emma Stone: 38k
- Viola Davis: 33k
Top Five Mentioned Movies
- The Artist: 125k
- Hugo: 79k
- Rango: 25k
- The Help: 22k
- Midnight in Paris: 18k
Top Five Ads by Social Media Activity
- McDonalds: She Loves Me She Loves Me Not
- Coca-Cola: Hooray For Hollywood
- Samsung TV
- J.C. Penney